16 January 2007

Knitting – can you believe it!!!

There are many other things going on here at Casa de Knit Or Get off – but there is actually knitting – for once!!!
Some old (like May!) and some new!

I finally met up with Starr and was able to give her (and have her try on) her knitted corset that I made this summer – AND IT FIT!!!! She was kind of enough to slip it on quickly before our lunch date the other day – unfortunately the pic is a bit blurry and we were in a hurry – so not the greatest picture:



Pattern: smallest size of Annie Modesitt Bias Corset from Interweave Knits Summer 2006
Yarn used: not quite 5 Balls of Debbie Bliss Cathay, cotton/micro fiber/silk blend, 50g balls, approx 109 yards each (did not use contrast yarn for bind of or strap)
Needles: US 3 (I knit loose, so always go down 1 or 2 sizes, plus I wanted the fabric to be dense for stability)
Changes to pattern: More like corrections. The ribbing did not flow from cast on to body as smoothly as it should (actually, it only works correctly as written for 2 sizes) so I cast on the number if stitches I would need for the body with a contrast yarn , knit a few rounds, then changed to my yarn and started the body. When I was done, I picked up in black and “forced” that ribbing to work. All mentioned here.
Also, I used half elastic/half ribbon straps instead of i-cord. I knew Starr would be wearing this out dancing, so I wanted it to be a bit more secure.

and then there was this lovely - just a tshirt turned into a dress. Starr said - MAKE A DRESS, and I said OKAY! Wish i had teaken pictures of the how too - but again, forethought, something i am seriously lacking....


Fritz always wondered why I knit tea cozies for everyone else and not us – so as an answer to said complaint, I whipped out this little puppy over New Year’s weekend. NO, not any of the cool tea cozy houses or other fun shapes that I got off Ebay this summer – but something plain and boring with a little cabling action to amuse myself.

I used Patons 100% Merino from my stash (a recent purchase, it is true – but stash none the less). I think I cast on something like 130 stitches and then just went from there. The cable pattern is from an Elspeth Lavold book. I would tell you which one, but that would require opening one of 15 boxes labeled “books.” The movers are coming tomorrow, so that will have to wait

Oh yes we are moving!!!!!!!!!! Scary thought! Of course this means decorating and making curtains (or buying) and making (definitely not buying) a new slipcover for the couch – one that is a little more cat proof than the current fabric – I HOPE!!! *gulp*

there is so much more to sohw you and so much more to this post but alas - blogger ate it yesterday. When i have time this weekend, I will update to the new and figure out how to use it all - as well as post a few more pics -but this i always say and never do :) .....

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

How many degrees of seperation is this: I was reading Queer Joe, checked a profile of a commenter, just randomly, saw she was from Potomac, checked her blog, saw a comment attributed to Marietta---what are the odds? Boom. I found the blog of someone I know!

Me and Haley hope you're doing great...! I ask about you every time I'm in the shop; hope to see you soon...

jill said...

Heh - that commenter was probably me...

Now that it's turned cold again, should I show up at WW to pick up John's sweater, or should I assume that moving has made your estimate that the zip will be reinstalled by 1/20... optimistic?

Anonymous said...

Yep! I enjoyed your blog, too!

Marietta said...

hey kathy!!! i thought i told you aout myweird little blog - guess not...will blame on pregnancy :)

Jill - not optimistic, this saturday is still good - zipper is like 5 minutes for me:) and hand sewing easy to do when husband doing physical labor :)

futuregirl said...

The dress is great! So cute. I'm digging the corset, too. It's too bad that the details don't show up in the picture because the yarn is black. I bet it's stunning in person.

Anonymous said...

marietta, this knitted corset is just WOW!
so pretty, and so very very beautifully made!

jill said...

excellent, my dear - actually, may have to send husband to pick up his own garment! He says his y-chromosome is strong enough to withstand.

Anonymous said...

Marietta, I can send you my measurements ;) the corset is stunning!

btw. you've been tagged ;)

Dove Knits said...

Great corset! So nice to see you haven't abandoned the dark side (knitting) yet!

Anonymous said...

Hi you! I sent an email to your hotmail account re: some private lessons...let me know if you've received it or not!
Hope you're doing well!

Anonymous said...

Damn girl - you're on fire! I want to join the "Mare make me something please please please" Club!

Loves to you,
~A~

LadyLinoleum said...

Love the corset and the dress! Oh, and the tea cozy too!

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. So sorry it took me so long to get over here. Adding you to my bloglines right away...